The story of a mother's love for her child is the origin of Sunshine Cottage School for Deaf Children. There were few educational options for the deaf when Dela and John White discovered in 1945 that their daughter, Tuleta, was born with profound hearing loss. Mr. and Mrs. White believed that if given the opportunity, children who are deaf or hard of hearing could learn to talk and live a full, self-reliant life. New to education and hearing loss, Mrs. White enlisted the support of a cadre of volunteers and organizations. In 1947, Sunshine Cottage opened its doors with seven students. Mr. and Mrs. White’s belief remains at the heart of our mission. Sunshine Cottage has grown into a respected auditory/oral school and gained significant national and international recognition as well.